Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ColinD

Seniors! And Juniors too.

Who are you? Where are you? What kind of debate experience do you have? Do you want to debate in college? And what are you looking to get out of continuing your debate career?

This isn't necessarily me trying to recruit you, but it isn't a bad idea to start advertising yourselves if you haven't really started a dialogue with many college squads. I'll post this link on the college facebook page when we pick up some steam here.

Feel free to start separate threads inquiring about different college programs within the College Recruitment forum as some already have.

Whassup my name's Pat. I debate for a small high school school just south of Austin, Texas. Did policy for 2 years (under the guidance of the one and only yao-yao chen), then swicthed to LD because of partner issues. Caught a few bid rounds here and there since then. My coach coached for Colin and Chris' high school once upon a time, so 11/10 I must be good by association, right?

On the dl though, I do nothing with my life but cut cards and my debate style basically hasn't changed since I switched from policy, which is what I like to call "leftist white boy debate" - think super intense policy strats, lots of T, politics, advantage CPs and the basic Ks (cap, security, agamben), plus lots of Heidegger. A LOT OF HEIDEGGER. Basically I'm a Northwestern debater who wants to debate at UT or Trinity because I can't get into/afford Northwestern (debate sugar daddies/mommas - hmu)

I'm a senior now, fifth year of debate (started in 8th grade) just tryna have some fun with debate, catch some bids (Grapevine and Greenhill, anyone?), and get good before college where I get to do it again but out of someone else's pocket. Fun stuff.

I also have a crapload of old posts on Cross-X (same screen name) where I've shared my musings on debate.

Cheers,

Pat

Edited by A Quack Debater
  • Positive 3

Hey, my name is Christopher. I debated for W.B. Ray High School in Corpus Christi, Texas. I did LD from 6th-9th and the policy from 10th-12th. I am in the middle of a gap year and am currently living in Fez, Morocco as the Head Coach for American School Fez. Last year I was in three bid rounds but due to a series of unfortunate events did not pick up any bids. 

I am a 2A at heart but love specific negative strategies. I personally prefer a good, ole-fashioned policy round when I'm affirmative but I did also read a queerness/magical realism aff with the plan text: The United States federal government should substantially increase it's funding of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. On the neg about 2/3 of my 2NRs were on Cap and the other 1/3 on PICs with either case turns of DAs (I can't tell you how much fun it was to shrek soft left courts affs on "change the ruling" PICs). My greatest regret is that my senior year was on the education topic and not China or Immigration.

I'm taking this gap year to truly begin to understand myself and to help build up the Moroccan debate circuit. 

Edit 9/11/18:

Whoops, I forgot to mention that senior year I won the Jonathan Brody National Service to Debate Award, was 3rd at 5A UIL state, broke at Nats with 11 ballots and made it to round 8, and was 16th top speaker. My junior year I made it to round 10. My sophmore year I made it to round 9 and was 3rd speaker at 6A UIL state. Those are probably important things to mention.

Edited by stearcd247
Forgot to mention some things.
  • Positive 4

1 hour ago, stearcd247 said:

Hey, my name is Christopher. I debated for W.B. Ray High School in Corpus Christi, Texas. I did LD from 6th-9th and the policy from 10th-12th. I am in the middle of a gap year and am currently living in Fez, Morocco as the Head Coach for American School Fez. Last year I was in three bid rounds but due to a series of unfortunate events did not pick up any bids. 

I am a 2A at heart but love specific negative strategies. I personally prefer a good, ole-fashioned policy round when I'm affirmative but I did also read a queerness/magical realism aff with the plan text: The United States federal government should substantially increase it's funding of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. On the neg about 2/3 of my 2NRs were on Cap and the other 1/3 on PICs with either case turns of DAs (I can't tell you how much fun it was to shrek soft left courts affs on "change the ruling" PICs). My greatest regret is that my senior year was on the education topic and not China or Immigration.

I'm taking this gap year to truly begin to understand myself and to help build up the Moroccan debate circuit. 

I've known Chris for a good while, can confirm he's a 10/10 person and debater

• Positive 3

Hello, my name’s Holden, I’m a junior at a small high school south of Austin, Texas (the same one as Patrick). I’m currently in my third year of debate, I did policy for basically the first two years of my career (i switched into LD because of partner issues in like November due to partner issues, where I had moderate success for the rest of the TFA season before I finished the year out in policy). Never did really leave policy because I read nothing but policy style args whenever possible in LD. I’m kind in the same boat as Patrick in the fact that I’ve read mainly policy style args, however I’m more comfortable in T and cap debates. I’m pretty flexible as far as speaker position, but I tend to be inclined to like being a 2N better, but I was a 2A most of my policy career. With that, most of my 2NR’s have been T and cap. I’ve had moderate success in my debate career so far. Nothing too big to claim just yet. I’m moderately read in queer theory though. 

I am however in love with the activity and would love to debate in college, probably because I think debate is an educational activity that can have the knowledge you gain spill over into other areas of education. At the same time the activity is a home and I love it completely.

Where I debate however is up for question. At this point debating for any college would be phenomenal.

• Positive 2

My name is Anthony from South California more specifically South Gate. I joined debate for alot of reasons but mostly cause of my wonderful coach who without him I would probably be a loner. I joined with my best friend for novice and went crazy :). I am a 1A and 2N and love theory with all of my heart. I badly want to be a successful debater and am working hard to be the best that I can be. I want to be in the CSU Fullerton debate team but honestly I would be the happy in any team and give it my all. I came into debate late ony like .75 year but I sure as hell will work my hardest to make that little experience not matter.

• Positive 2

Looks like I’m kind of late to the party, but oh well.

I’m a junior at Marquette in Wisconsin, and I enjoy debate. It’s functionally all I do, other than being a mediocre student, and debating in college sounds like it would be the best damn thing since sliced bread. Maybe not the best comparison, but I digress.

I’m a 1A/2N, and this is my 3rd year debating. I still don’t think I’m great, but apparently the world around me disagrees because we managed to snatch a bid at Iowa Valley (and then lose to T in finals, big sad).

Honestly, I just want to keep debating so I can keep learning more and more.

• Positive 1

On 9/27/2018 at 7:54 AM, bayernuard said:

Looks like I’m kind of late to the party, but oh well.

I’m a junior at Marquette in Wisconsin, and I enjoy debate. It’s functionally all I do, other than being a mediocre student, and debating in college sounds like it would be the best damn thing since sliced bread. Maybe not the best comparison, but I digress.

I’m a 1A/2N, and this is my 3rd year debating. I still don’t think I’m great, but apparently the world around me disagrees because we managed to snatch a bid at Iowa Valley (and then lose to T in finals, big sad).

Honestly, I just want to keep debating so I can keep learning more and more.

B0rnie is very good at the args like the Baurillard and the Plan Por Favor shell can confirm

Hey my name is Gustavo. I started doing speech since eight frade but then I jumped to debate in high school. I am a senior right now and as a novice I was in LD but then I switched to Policy/CX debate after that. I study at a kind of small school on the southeast of Houston. I joined  debate because I intend to go to Law School in the future and I was told that Debate would get me a feel for Law. I've always been the second speaker except for this year, which I am now the 2A/1N. I would love to debate in college because it would be an opportunity to do something academic and I'd get to meet some pretty cool people. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

• Positive 1

13 hours ago, A Quack Debater said:

B0rnie is very good at the args like the Baurillard and the Plan Por Favor shell can confirm

I'm a fascist now I haven't even read Baudrillard this year ?

• Positive 1

Hi!

I'm a debater with absolutely no qualifications that would seem impressive.

I did CX for two years then transitioned into LD because my partner graduated. Quarters at UIL state in CX, TFA Qualled, and broke at two bids in LD. I'm hoping that I can get to the TOC in my senior year, (although its extremely unlikely.) 

I go to a school in suburban Southwest Houston that hasn't had a successful debate program in a decade.

I've been to UTNIF once, I also attended the DDC. 

I know my list of achievements is essentially null, but debate has lead to a number of opportunities that I would not have been able to take part in had I not rooted myself in the activity.

I am about to publish a collection of short stories and prose based on my interaction with different philosophers and writers in debate, I am currently building a store that will compile and produce merchandise for debate and a number of other extracurricular activities. Debate has also influenced my choice of major in college.

I like to be the most creative person in the room. To that ideal, I read Baudrillard, Deleuze, Wilderson, varied interpretations of tricky Eastern Phil, Speculative Realism arguments, and Cap.