Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobGlass

Is it acceptable to read a card containing an argument that the author Now disavows?

So, if you haven't listened to the latest episode of the debatercast you totally should. It's a really fascinating interview and Jeffrey Lewis is just the best.

But I've been thinking about a part of the interview a lot since then. In the discussion Jeffrey Lewis is broadly negative towards politics disads and then discusses the winners win Norm Ornstein card, and mentions that Ornstein no longer believes that argument to be true. If that's correct, is it okay to keep reading the Ornstein card?

My original thought was "of course" and that what the debater is defending is the argument (claim-warrant-impact) in the card and not the author.  BUT that begs the question as to why read the card then? If the argument in it is good on its own merits the structure of the card is unnecessary _except_ if the debater is trying to add extra weight to the argument by using the authority of an expert's opinion. If that's true, and it's also known that the author now no longer believes in that argument, then reading for card from that author seems disingenuous at best and outright dishonest at worst.

I think this would be an interesting discussion, and I'm curious what the rest of the community thinks about this.

Imo I think the new evidence where an author backtracks or changes their mind needs to have a warranted reason why their previous claim is wrong. Presumably they were a qualified author when they wrote the first piece of evidence, so it's not like the weight of their reasoning is just flat out invalidated. Though I think the really right move is read a new card when someone makes that argument.

I think that cards are still necessary. The value of evidence authors is that they are qualified sources who are presumably knowledgeable and well informed to make a point. Qualification of evidence is just another warrant to a claim, which also means that can be a meaningful tiebreaker in a close debate.
I do believe that debaters can make meaningful arguments comparable to evidence when they use reason and examples. But in a debate where it's well debated on both sides and seems even in argumentation, I would lean toward evidence on that argument, simply because authors are likely more qualified/informed/well-studied on a given subject. Qualification of author is just another warrant to a claim, so I would evaluate it as such.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I disagree with the premise that an author is only allowed one absolute position on an issue. I say "heg good" one debate and "heg bad" the next, backing it with warranted arguments both times. An author can make arguments for extremely inconsistent ideas without having to have a strict and static personal position reflected in every argument. I certainly think one team can argue that the change in the other team's author's core argument undermines the ethos of the argument, but by no means do I think it's illegitimate to read old evidence.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:24 AM, ColinD said:

I think that cards are still necessary. The value of evidence authors is that they are qualified sources who are presumably knowledgeable and well informed to make a point. Qualification of evidence is just another warrant to a claim, which also means that can be a meaningful tiebreaker in a close debate.

But that's the point. If the warrant is "X Qualified Source Believes this" then to cite this person as believing the argument now when they, in fact, _do not_ seems ethically dubious.   And if the argument is actually warranted then it seems like making that argument yourself without a card should solve the problem. 

On 9/13/2018 at 4:39 PM, Snowball said:

I disagree with the premise that an author is only allowed one absolute position on an issue. I say "heg good" one debate and "heg bad" the next, backing it with warranted arguments both times. An author can make arguments for extremely inconsistent ideas without having to have a strict and static personal position reflected in every argument. I certainly think one team can argue that the change in the other team's author's core argument undermines the ethos of the argument, but by no means do I think it's illegitimate to read old evidence.

There's a fundamental difference between "Author has written in defence of two ideas in tension with each other" and "Author believed X and now believes Y, but I'm going to ignore that progression and use their defence  of X. uncritically" If the Author has made a clean break from the position they held and you know it then why cite them? If the arg is good surely it's made elsewhere, and if the arg really is obscure enough that this is the only author whose cards are worth using and they've moved on from the argument then perhaps there's a reason they have.

Recast a bit, this logic of "the author defended it once so I'm free to use it now" wouldn't fly in serious academic writing, so why should we let it (uncritically) into debate?

1 hour ago, RobGlass said:

If the Author has made a clean break from the position they held and you know it then why cite them? If the arg is good surely it's made elsewhere, and if the arg really is obscure enough that this is the only author whose cards are worth using and they've moved on from the argument then perhaps there's a reason they have.

This definitely makes sense for why it's not strategic to cite it, but I don't think there's a reason it's illegitimate to do so. I think that "serious academic writing" is a lot different than debate because it's pursuing the truth, not the ballot (and can allow the nuance of an author's change in opinion as opposed to debate world). I also think it could fly in academia if it was mentioned that the author changed their mind.

7 hours ago, RobGlass said:

But that's the point. If the warrant is "X Qualified Source Believes this" then to cite this person as believing the argument now when they, in fact, _do not_ seems ethically dubious.   And if the argument is actually warranted then it seems like making that argument yourself without a card should solve the problem. 

I see where you're coming from but I don't think that's a reason to abrogate the use of evidence.  The function of evidence is to verify claims and even the warrants of claims by using a verified source. Like debaters can comment on things from their own perspective and knowledge of the world, but if they're predicting what the chinese government will do in x situation and the other team reads a card from an IR scholar or Chinese political expert that says "no they won't," the card will almost definitely win because the debater does not have close to those credentials to verify that they have a wealth of background knowledge. It's arbitrary sure. Someone could read z bunch of books and keep up with developments in a field to functionally be an expert on a topic, but that's not verifiable like a degree or work credentials of an author.

A source can discredit themselves, but I think that there is a similar threshold for a new piece of evidence from the same author to establish why they were wrong as there would be from an answer written by a different author. I'm excluding the "concludes neg at the end of the article" type cards as those imply that the author did not intend to write evidence in the other way. The author intended to write whatever original evidence in a certain way and made qualified claims. I think that if they change their minds, they should detail why they think things are different. I'm not inclined to hear a one liner card about how they changed their mind on x issue. If Kagan decided to be like "actually I'm not into that whole neocon military force thing anymore, he would have a bit of explaining to do.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:54 AM, RobGlass said:

So, if you haven't listened to the latest episode of the debatercast you totally should. It's a really fascinating interview and Jeffrey Lewis is just the best.

But I've been thinking about a part of the interview a lot since then. In the discussion Jeffrey Lewis is broadly negative towards politics disads and then discusses the winners win Norm Ornstein card, and mentions that Ornstein no longer believes that argument to be true. If that's correct, is it okay to keep reading the Ornstein card?

My original thought was "of course" and that what the debater is defending is the argument (claim-warrant-impact) in the card and not the author.  BUT that begs the question as to why read the card then? If the argument in it is good on its own merits the structure of the card is unnecessary _except_ if the debater is trying to add extra weight to the argument by using the authority of an expert's opinion. If that's true, and it's also known that the author now no longer believes in that argument, then reading for card from that author seems disingenuous at best and outright dishonest at worst.

I think this would be an interesting discussion, and I'm curious what the rest of the community thinks about this.

LOL my novice time honestly, they gave us a Calabresi 95 card that was like States Bad then Calabresi 15 card States good EVEN OUR CP CARD was the same issue xD

I think it varies. Like Snowball said, it is possible to write a paper analyzing both sides of the argument, at which point, I think either side of the argument is valid. I also think, however, if an author definitively concludes one way or another, I think that conclusion is what should be considered the side of the argument the author takes.

On 9/25/2018 at 5:01 PM, Sam_ka$h said:

LOLOLOL , zizek has made so many indicts into so many of his own arguements but cap debates dont end without a mention of his name

zizek is a bad argument though; he endorsed Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump

20 hours ago, businessmonkey said:

zizek is a bad argument though; he endorsed Supreme Leader Donald J. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump

i thought he said Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump is necessary for destruction of america

• Positive 1

39 minutes ago, Sam_ka$h said:

i thought he said Supreme Leader Donald J. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump is necessary for destruction of america

but is destorying the entire contry really a good idea?

4 hours ago, businessmonkey said:

but is destorying the entire contry really a good idea?

According to him, probably. Is his method for doing it good? Probably not.

On 10/1/2018 at 6:58 PM, NickDB8 said:

According to him, probably. Is his method for doing it good? Probably not.

MLs don't have good methods

gotta get that anarchy

also ew Lacanian anaylisis 

how Oepdial

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By NickDB8
      Any predictions?
    • By RobGlass
      NDT Second Rounds went out recently. This has restarted the perennial discussion about their utility and fairness, as well as the health of the NDT. This time it seems like there are two camps that are extra aggrieved:

- A camp that thinks that deserving third teams from a number of schools got the shaft by not getting an invite, thanks in large part due to the cap on third teams.

- A camp that implies, heavily, that certain teams that were accepted to the NDT as second rounds were not competitively justified to be allowed.

I think the second camp represents a aggrieved petulance that is unworthy of discussion at length, but the first camp (even with its tinge of the latter opinion) represents a real grievance that should be recognized. I want to briefly explore this, its history, and a modest proposal to fix the problem:

This isn’t the place for a proper history of the NDT’s eligibility rules. Suffice to say that the NDT has always dealt with a problem of declining participation year over year. Originally the NDT only invited one team per school, but over time it started including second teams, and then a limited number of third teams so as to make sure it could fill out the pool. We’ve even been in this position before, where the number of second rounds and third teams was barely enough to make the NDT happen according to the rules, in the nineties. The result of that crisis was the merger between CEDA and the NDT which drastically inflated the pool of eligible teams by letting CEDA schools into the mix.

I don’t want to rehash something that has been basically accepted by the community writ large at this point, but I think it can take at least a brief repeating: the elitism of the NDT intrinsically drives schools out of the activity. Partially because of the frustration that results from the exclusion of not being able to qualify, and partially because of the sheer costs that are required to be able to overcome that exclusion.

I will, personally, place a lion's share of that blame directly at the feet of the Second Round At Large process: National Circuit tournaments have always existed, and potential first round teams coupled with the existence of well-financed teams will always make a pseudo-national circuit emerge as top level teams travel across the country to debate each other. Theoretically this should be fine as teams that aren’t at the very top of debate should feel comfortable simply debating in local and regional circuits and not travelling to national tournaments, unless they want to. However, teams that fear that they won’t get out of districts need to protect their second round chances, and that requires repeated outings on the national circuit to prove competitive viability. That costs way more than local travel (the cost to fly two teams from the mid-west to the Cali Swings more than equals bringing multiple teams to two or three local tournaments) and these costs directly trade off with both local tournament attendance and team size.  This has real consequences both in terms of the viability of local tournaments, novice participation, etc. as well as in terms of participation in the community itself: Once those costs pile up it becomes harder and harder to justify having a debate team both internally to students who deal first hand with the questions of competitive inequity, and to administrators trying to track return on investment in a debate program when these factors don't exist in parli formats.*

The result has been the community losing teams year over year, with long-time stalwart programs either disappearing or going off to the ‘other side’ of parli debate. (See, most recently, Vanderbilt). Herein lies the real pain of the first camp I outlined: the limits placed on the number of third teams allowed in was designed to protect a broadly diverse mixture of competitive schools who felt like they were being locked out, the decline in participation means that those schools no longer exist, which means that they are now being excluded in what appears to be an act for exclusion’s sake while competitively inferior teams are being let in because _someone has to be let in_ to make the tournament happen.

While I don’t think their pain should necessarily be prioritized over the joy of inclusion that the included second round teams have, I do think that this reveals an underlying question of how we should balance the elitist demand of the NDT** with declining participation and other concerns. In that regard, I propose the following solution as a framework to look at:

-       As a premise I imagine keeping the NDT, but increasing the number of participating teams. The actual number can be fluid, but I think a pool of around 90 sounds perfectly workable.

-       Then maintain the first round process for sixteen teams. Let as many teams who are voted in via the first round, even third or fourth teams from schools, into the NDT in the initial stage.

-       At this point let every subscriber school nominate one team to the NDT. I’m inclined to put some barebones requirements on this team (a minimum number of rounds during the year, let each district nominate a ‘district’ tournament during the year and require these teams to have attended at least two of those tournaments, a winning record in Open, etc.), but nothing too strenuous. These teams should be allowed in if they clear those requirements.

-       This should fill up a majority of the slots to the NDT. To fill out the rest I propose having a National Qualifying Tournament. A tournament held in February that is open to every school and is run like present day district tournaments, except open to every team in the country. (We can rotate the hosting duties of the NQT between the schools every year). Every school can bring as many teams as they’d like to the NQT, and the top qualifiers will be let into the NDT to fill out the numbers.

Obviously, this is not a perfect system, but I think it allows a baseline of compromise between the exclusionary demands that underlie the NDT’s focus on elitism with the real need to open the NDT up to more schools and participants and break the hold of the national circuit on schools***.

There are also problems with this system that may make particular parts of it unworkable. For instance, the intra-squad discussion of which team to nominate to the NDT will probably be heart-rending and divisive. I also know that some schools would absolutely opt to use their nomination for a ‘B’ team while choosing to send their ‘A’ team to the NQT, which is less than ideal. 

But, this is a starting point and not a final product and I think that there are many things that recommend it over our current system which is fundamentally broken, and has been since the 70s. At a core level, if we want to preserve the activity we need to come up with a fix that allows more schools in, there isn’t another parallel debate league to merge with a-la CEDA  in the mid-90s, and if we don’t do something soon to fix the structural problems in the activity it might be too late to actually right the ship.

Rob Glass is the Editor in Chief of Policydb8 and debate coach for the University of Houston, before this he has worked for schools like Binghamton University, the University of Rochester, and Stuyvesant High School. 

* If we were to abolish the second round and simply give those bids to the districts, either as part of the district tournament or as a second round bid to be given out by them, I think we would be in a far better place.

** I will gladly flag here that the response of “elitism bad” is a fair one. Abolishing the NDT as a poisoned relic and embracing CEDA as the end of year championship is something that should absolutely be on the table for the community. 

*** One of the great shames of this year is that the splitter movement that fled the Cali swings for the Miami Georgetown tournament weren't called out for the damage that that move did to community cohesion. The spirit of the PRL still haunts the activity and we are all worse for it. 

View full article
    • By RobGlass
      NDT Second Rounds went out recently. This has restarted the perennial discussion about their utility and fairness, as well as the health of the NDT. This time it seems like there are two camps that are extra aggrieved:

- A camp that thinks that deserving third teams from a number of schools got the shaft by not getting an invite, thanks in large part due to the cap on third teams.

- A camp that implies, heavily, that certain teams that were accepted to the NDT as second rounds were not competitively justified to be allowed.

I think the second camp represents a aggrieved petulance that is unworthy of discussion at length, but the first camp (even with its tinge of the latter opinion) represents a real grievance that should be recognized. I want to briefly explore this, its history, and a modest proposal to fix the problem:

This isn’t the place for a proper history of the NDT’s eligibility rules. Suffice to say that the NDT has always dealt with a problem of declining participation year over year. Originally the NDT only invited one team per school, but over time it started including second teams, and then a limited number of third teams so as to make sure it could fill out the pool. We’ve even been in this position before, where the number of second rounds and third teams was barely enough to make the NDT happen according to the rules, in the nineties. The result of that crisis was the merger between CEDA and the NDT which drastically inflated the pool of eligible teams by letting CEDA schools into the mix.

I don’t want to rehash something that has been basically accepted by the community writ large at this point, but I think it can take at least a brief repeating: the elitism of the NDT intrinsically drives schools out of the activity. Partially because of the frustration that results from the exclusion of not being able to qualify, and partially because of the sheer costs that are required to be able to overcome that exclusion.

I will, personally, place a lion's share of that blame directly at the feet of the Second Round At Large process: National Circuit tournaments have always existed, and potential first round teams coupled with the existence of well-financed teams will always make a pseudo-national circuit emerge as top level teams travel across the country to debate each other. Theoretically this should be fine as teams that aren’t at the very top of debate should feel comfortable simply debating in local and regional circuits and not travelling to national tournaments, unless they want to. However, teams that fear that they won’t get out of districts need to protect their second round chances, and that requires repeated outings on the national circuit to prove competitive viability. That costs way more than local travel (the cost to fly two teams from the mid-west to the Cali Swings more than equals bringing multiple teams to two or three local tournaments) and these costs directly trade off with both local tournament attendance and team size.  This has real consequences both in terms of the viability of local tournaments, novice participation, etc. as well as in terms of participation in the community itself: Once those costs pile up it becomes harder and harder to justify having a debate team both internally to students who deal first hand with the questions of competitive inequity, and to administrators trying to track return on investment in a debate program when these factors don't exist in parli formats.*

The result has been the community losing teams year over year, with long-time stalwart programs either disappearing or going off to the ‘other side’ of parli debate. (See, most recently, Vanderbilt). Herein lies the real pain of the first camp I outlined: the limits placed on the number of third teams allowed in was designed to protect a broadly diverse mixture of competitive schools who felt like they were being locked out, the decline in participation means that those schools no longer exist, which means that they are now being excluded in what appears to be an act for exclusion’s sake while competitively inferior teams are being let in because _someone has to be let in_ to make the tournament happen.

While I don’t think their pain should necessarily be prioritized over the joy of inclusion that the included second round teams have, I do think that this reveals an underlying question of how we should balance the elitist demand of the NDT** with declining participation and other concerns. In that regard, I propose the following solution as a framework to look at:

-       As a premise I imagine keeping the NDT, but increasing the number of participating teams. The actual number can be fluid, but I think a pool of around 90 sounds perfectly workable.

-       Then maintain the first round process for sixteen teams. Let as many teams who are voted in via the first round, even third or fourth teams from schools, into the NDT in the initial stage.

-       At this point let every subscriber school nominate one team to the NDT. I’m inclined to put some barebones requirements on this team (a minimum number of rounds during the year, let each district nominate a ‘district’ tournament during the year and require these teams to have attended at least two of those tournaments, a winning record in Open, etc.), but nothing too strenuous. These teams should be allowed in if they clear those requirements.

-       This should fill up a majority of the slots to the NDT. To fill out the rest I propose having a National Qualifying Tournament. A tournament held in February that is open to every school and is run like present day district tournaments, except open to every team in the country. (We can rotate the hosting duties of the NQT between the schools every year). Every school can bring as many teams as they’d like to the NQT, and the top qualifiers will be let into the NDT to fill out the numbers.

Obviously, this is not a perfect system, but I think it allows a baseline of compromise between the exclusionary demands that underlie the NDT’s focus on elitism with the real need to open the NDT up to more schools and participants and break the hold of the national circuit on schools***.

There are also problems with this system that may make particular parts of it unworkable. For instance, the intra-squad discussion of which team to nominate to the NDT will probably be heart-rending and divisive. I also know that some schools would absolutely opt to use their nomination for a ‘B’ team while choosing to send their ‘A’ team to the NQT, which is less than ideal. 

But, this is a starting point and not a final product and I think that there are many things that recommend it over our current system which is fundamentally broken, and has been since the 70s. At a core level, if we want to preserve the activity we need to come up with a fix that allows more schools in, there isn’t another parallel debate league to merge with a-la CEDA  in the mid-90s, and if we don’t do something soon to fix the structural problems in the activity it might be too late to actually right the ship.

Rob Glass is the Editor in Chief of Policydb8 and debate coach for the University of Houston, before this he has worked for schools like Binghamton University, the University of Rochester, and Stuyvesant High School. 

* If we were to abolish the second round and simply give those bids to the districts, either as part of the district tournament or as a second round bid to be given out by them, I think we would be in a far better place.

** I will gladly flag here that the response of “elitism bad” is a fair one. Abolishing the NDT as a poisoned relic and embracing CEDA as the end of year championship is something that should absolutely be on the table for the community. 

*** One of the great shames of this year is that the splitter movement that fled the Cali swings for the Miami Georgetown tournament weren't called out for the damage that that move did to community cohesion. The spirit of the PRL still haunts the activity and we are all worse for it. 
    • By ColinD
      The latest in neocon hegemony
  • Top Downloads

1. Free

By bobbio
         102   0
    2. Free

By Anthony :3
         80   0
    3. Free

By DailyCard
         73   0