Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chsdebater5

Immigration - chsdebater5(aff) vs. ZidaoW(Neg)

3 hours ago, ColinD said:

I was gonna offer to judge until I saw comic sans in that speech doc

Lmao automatic 25 speaks. 

50 minutes ago, ronniesportman said:

I can judge if ya'll need

It would be greatly appreciated if y'all could judge. Thanks!

• Positive 2

CROSS: 

1. Your framing page says we should prioritize structural violence first--- how does that jive with the nuclear terrorism impact and the populist war impact on your advantages? I especially want to talk about your Burke evidence which says securitizing threats causes structural violence--- why doesn't that link to your impacts also? 

2. Who raises the refugee cap? 

3. Your internal link to nuclear terror is the Hammod evidence from 2015--- it says that we need to increase soft power and legitimacy--- Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump has been laughed out of the UN. withdrawing from international treaties, etc, how does the plan solve overall perception about the Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump Administration? 

4. Which terrorist group has nuclear weapons now? 

5. Your Galston evidence says EU leaders need to adopt stricter refugee policies, why haven't they done so yet? 

16 minutes ago, ZidaoW said:

CROSS: 

1. Your framing page says we should prioritize structural violence first--- how does that jive with the nuclear terrorism impact and the populist war impact on your advantages? I especially want to talk about your Burke evidence which says securitizing threats causes structural violence--- why doesn't that link to your impacts also? 

First, nuclear terrorism acts as a magnifier of structural violence. Even a small and primitive bomb would lead to an unprecedented economic depression worsening current poverty and greatly increasing the number of people in poverty that was the Arguello and Buis card. I didn't have a terminal impact for the EU or the Soft Power advantages. The EU advantage has external impacts, namely continued and worsening genocide and dehumanization, in addition, nationalism acts as a magnifier to any possible war scenarios that was the Saideman and Klitou cards . Burke is talking about politics prioritizing security threats over structural violence, and basing politics off of security logic. We are attempting to lessen the structural violence, including rape and sexual assault, that refugees are facing in the squo and saying that there are possible external consequences to not passing the plan.

2. Who raises the refugee cap? 

The executive, congress can check the cap tho. I won't be squirrelly, you can base your links on the executive. 

3. Your internal link to nuclear terror is the Hammod evidence from 2015--- it says that we need to increase soft power and legitimacy--- Supreme Leader Donald J. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump has been laughed out of the UN. withdrawing from international treaties, etc, how does the plan solve overall perception about the Supreme Leader Donald J. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump Administration? 

The US has been a pillar of refugee and humanitarian acceptance, Supreme Leader Donald J. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump increasing the cap would send signals that the United States is serious about humanitarian aid, squo leads to questions of the US's international power. 

4. Which terrorist group has nuclear weapons now?  

Even a small nuclear bomb would cause catastrophic consequences, groups like ISIS, Al Quaeda, Chechen separatists have all pursued nuclear weapons and have access. Soft power is also key to preventing future terrorist groups from obtaining nuclear capabilities.

5. Your Galston evidence says EU leaders need to adopt stricter refugee policies, why haven't they done so yet? 

The Galston evidence says that EU leaders that were and are centrist face pressure due to the amount of refugees coming in to shift towards populist policies. And, populist movements like 5 Star in Italy, National Rally in France, UKIP in Britain have already gained traction based on refugee backlash. This has put pressure on leaders and means that strict policies will be pursued. Brexit is an example.

CX

1. What is the status of the CPs

2. Why can't we raise the refugee cap and increase targeted killings?

3. What is the impact to the targeted killings NB? does it just function as a case turn?

4. Why should we cater to Supreme Leader Donald J. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump's white supremacist base?

5. What is the link for the Farm Bill DA? It talks about comprehensive immigration bills being toxic but how does this jive with refugees?

6. On populism you say that mutually assured distruction solves any risk of nuclear war, if that's true does that mean that there's no risk of an impact to the Miller and Base DAs?

Possibly followups 

1. Status quo is always a viable option (conditional). 

2. It would link to the net benefits. 

3. It solves your nuclear terrorism impact. 

4. You are catering to populist white supremecists in the EU too--- the whole thesis of your first advantage is that we have to appease racists in the EU so they don't get upset about immigration levels--- if anything you link more to this argument. Also, that begs the question of consequences. 

5. Supreme Leader Donald J. Trump increasing refugee caps would spark debates in Congress about whether that's a good idea, etc, Democrats and Republicans would be divided upon partisan lines, especially on an issue like immigration, even if they don't pass the bill---that wrecks bipartisanship. 

6. No, our evidence says that populist nationalism is not a plausible route to nuclear conflict, not that nuclear conflicts won't ever happen--- it says the U.S. has a security architecture which is generally ok in maintaining some form of peace but  1) Miller takes that out because NATO withdraw obviously is the U.S. abandoning that architecture 2) Doesn't assume the U.S. itself lashing out, which is the impact to our Base DA. 

Sorry, 1 more question 

If immigration agencies are sidestepping NEPA now, why haven't we seen extinction yet? Also, Why does the aff specifically have to be reviewed?

1. Our evidence says that because immigration agencies are sidestepping NEPA, it decreases NEPA's credibility. Obviously climate change is a threat and the fact that we haven't seen extinction yet does not mean that the risk won't be increasing in the future--- our argument is that NEPA credibility is important to make sure that future initiatives to address climate change can be coordinated and effective on an international scale. Your aff proposes an immigration policy, so reviewing your aff would reverse the signal that the government is currently sending. 

1. How does the perm function on the Canada eh CP? What does "cooperation" look like?

1 hour ago, ZidaoW said:

1. How does the perm function on the Canada eh eh CP? What does "cooperation" look like?

The US and Canada eh both accept refugees, US provides experience and can help fill in any gaps 

Sorry its probably late for CX and i have a tournament tomorrow so I might hold the 1AR if you want to wait to send the 1NR that's cool.

1. Is the internal Canada eh arg better arg a voter independently of the DA?

Edited by chsdebater5

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "voter". It's a reason why the Canada eh CP is preferable to the plan. 

Sorry about the delay--- my classes are beating me up right now. I'll have a 1NR up by Thursday. 

• Positive 1

22 minutes ago, ZidaoW said:

Sorry about the delay--- my classes are beating me up right now. I'll have a 1NR up by Thursday. 

It's cool I'm going through the same thing