Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 minutes ago, businessmonkey said:

I looked up smithville and it's near austin, what do you have to say about texas, whether as a hs bystander or by competing against them in college?

Yeah, it's a satellite town to Austin essentially, about 45 minutes by car. 

By Texas do you mean UT or do you mean "what's it like debating in the state"?

I actually coached for the University of Texas for a year, I have lots of good things to say about the school and the program, ask away.

I know a few people who are going to be debating/already debate in the Texas area - UT Dallas can throw some decent debate scholarship money at you, from what I hear.

One of the things I will say is that if you have a good opportunity/offer from a college in D3 and the college is a good fit for you that the 3rd District is hands-down the most difficult/challenging and that I highly recommend debating in it.

31 minutes ago, LNRD said:

One of the things I will say is that if you have a good opportunity/offer from a college in D3 and the college is a good fit for you that the 3rd District is hands-down the most difficult/challenging and that I highly recommend debating in it.

not d5?  don't they have nu and msu and umich? 

They do but they usually don't travel their competitive teams regionally, and the D3 has a large number of active schools (UTD, UT, UTSA, Baylor, OU, UCO, Kansas, K-State, Emporia, WSU, Missouri State, a few others I'm not recalling off the top of my head). Most D3 schools also force their top teams to travel regionally, which makes regional varsity competition really good. 

The district tournament for D3 is nationally known as "the blood bath" for a reason lol.

Posted (edited)

I know ku, ou, ut, uco, esu, utd, missouri state have all gotten first rounds in recent years, and it must be very competitive, perhaps the most competitive, but debating B teams at districts assisted by their first round buddies sounds impossible. 
Edit: answered in a simulataneous post. 

Edited by businessmonkey
we posted simultaneously so I didn't see the answer

1 hour ago, LNRD said:

Yeah, it's a satellite town to Austin essentially, about 45 minutes by car. 

By Texas do you mean UT or do you mean "what's it like debating in the state"?

I actually coached for the University of Texas for a year, I have lots of good things to say about the school and the program, ask away.

I meant ut, but what is (was) it like, in fact, to debate in the austin area, what was it like to debate in the panhandle? 

24 minutes ago, businessmonkey said:

I know ku, ou, ut, uco, esu, utd, missouri state have all gotten first rounds in recent years, and it must be very competitive, perhaps the most competitive, but debating B teams at districts assisted by their first round buddies sounds impossible. 
Edit: answered in a simulataneous post. 

Yeah, it is quite competitive. It's not impossible, just incredibly difficult. I think it's actually beneficial to debate teams that strong with a high frequency, even if you start by just losing your lunch money a few times. 
The other thing that makes it such a "blood bath" is that every year there's usually at least 1 first-round quality team from the D3 that doesn't get one and has to go to districts.

12 minutes ago, businessmonkey said:

I meant ut, but what is (was) it like, in fact, to debate in the austin area, what was it like to debate in the panhandle? 

UT is a great school and it has a storied program. Their director (Joel Rollins) recently announced his retirement and I believe they are looking for a replacement DoD right now, but they have strong scholarship backing, a talented coaching staff, and they really enjoy letting debaters define their own sort of argumentative direction. 

Debating in the Austin area in high school is fantastic, there are a ton of tournaments and when I was debating there were 6 bid tournaments in Texas, so the lack of ability to travel out of state or on sundays wouldn't hamper our acquisition of bids. 

The panhandle was a different story. There's little to no financial support for debate programs there. Most coaches still live in a 1980's UIL world. Most teams travel maximum 4 or 5 times per year including State. The geography of the area also produces a lot of challenges. Everything is very far apart, the land is mostly flat, most towns are relatively small or low-income, and even if you live in Amarillo or Lubbock your school likely spends more money on 4H than it does on its collective debate budget. 

It's saddening to me to see so many students isolated in geographic regions like that who would probably love to debate but won't get the chance because they just don't live in the "right place"

• Positive 1

12 hours ago, LNRD said:

It's saddening to me to see so many students isolated in geographic regions like that who would probably love to debate but won't get the chance because they just don't live in the "right place"

you should start a rural debate league for the panhandle!

1 hour ago, businessmonkey said:

you should start a rural debate league for the panhandle!

That's one end-goal of this website: fostering debate communities online in places that they struggled to flourish and using revenue to fund things like RDL's (which I'm pretty sure don't even exist yet).

On 7/18/2018 at 12:36 AM, LNRD said:

UT is a great school and it has a storied program. Their director (Joel Rollins) recently announced his retirement and I believe they are looking for a replacement DoD right now, but they have strong scholarship backing, a talented coaching staff, and they really enjoy letting debaters define their own sort of argumentative direction. 

Brendan Bakey is there now. Old Round Rock debater.

hey y'all, Hazel Cupo from Texas AC here! if you have specific questions about the program or have interest, you can email me at hazelcupo@gmail.com. The squad is mainly kritikal (especially anti-blackness and psychoanalysis and whatever Kevin Clarke felt like cutting that night) though we do have some policy teams on the come up such as Texas CV (any of you that debated LASA or Churchill are familiar with Will Coltzer and Sahil Vadiya). Our squad travels to several majors such as GSU and Wake Forest, as well as smaller tournaments and regionals such as Weber and UCO. 

I debated for East in high school (junior and senior year) and did mainly UIL, similar to the panhandel. If you want to debate, you have a place. We can catch you up to speed.

Edited by AzumaNoShinigami